Thursday, February 2, 2017

A Playlist About Me

Who I am

First things first my name is Rachel, I am from a small town centered between Appleton and Green Bay called Wrightstown. Here at UWSP I am double majoring in Social Work and Sociology with a minor in Criminal Justice. Back home I spend most of my time riding my horses and going to horse shows.

My Mom, Dad and I
Prom 2016
Like most little girls, I adored my dad, I was a daddy's girl, and I wanted everything to do with him. Every night when he got home from work he would scoop me up in his arms, and spin me in circles no matter what kind of day he had. He would tuck me into bed every night, by saying my bedtime prayers with me and checking under my bed for monsters.  As my biggest supporter, I could always count on him being in the stands cheering my on. I will forever remember his whistle and how we would wink at one another when we made eye contact.  My dad has helped me get through some of the toughest times in my life, no matter the circumstance I know he will always be there waiting, when I need something. Every step of the way he was there for me, from moving me into college, to sending me pictures of my dogs when I'm homesick, even texting me goodnight every single night.  I have always sought his advice, approval and support with anything I did. He was the one I went to when I couldn't decide what prom dress to get, and the one who makes sure every boy know that I am his little girl. So the song "Cinderella" by Curtis Chapman couldn't be more fitting as I am my dads little princess.
My dogs Bandit and Teddy
Photo Credit: my dad

No matter the trouble and tribulations I have experienced I have somehow managed to hold on and keep going. While it hasn't been easy, and at times it felt like i was hardly breathing, I made it. There were times when i was lost, alone, and ready to give up but somehow each time I found one more reason to keep going. With every struggle, my grip on life became weaker, my life seemed to be spinning out of control faster than ever.  However, with each struggle my faith in God grew stronger, my trust in him grew rapidly, and my struggles slowly became easier to handle.  While I longed for a purpose to keep holding on, for a reason to make it one more day, a sign that it would be okay, I made   it, I survived. I found my way home, I found a meaning, a purpose, a reason, and I kept living no matter what i was going through. This is why i love the song "Broken" by Lifehouse. This song is a constant reminder for me that no matter what is going on there is a reason why I'm still breathing and why I hold on. That through everything as long as i hold on to something whether it is God, hope or anything everything will be okay.

The song "Strong Enough" by Matthew West, is a constant reminder to me that "I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me" -Philippians 4:13. With every hardship my mom reminded me to turn to God and ask him for help. It wasn't easy as I felt like part of me was giving up, but only to realize that giving my problems to God helped. When I gave my problems to God, it was like a weight was lifted off of my shoulders, and my problems seemed easier to get through. I truly believe that alone I can do so little but with him I can do so much.

My Grandma and I right before I left for college.
Photo Credit: My Brother
At one point I questioned who I was, what made me, and what really makes me who I am. After listening to the song "Who am I" by Jessica Andrews, that I realized who I am. In the song she describes that she's Rosemary's granddaughter, a splitting image of her father and that her mamma is her biggest fan. I am a splitting image of grandma, I am a daughter, sister, and at the end of the day I am me. That I am someone who loves unconditionally. Someone who would give everything just to make a difference in someone else's life. I am the girl who loves horses, the one who spend every waking moment at the barn riding. While at times I question who i am as a person or where i'm going, at the end of the day I know what made me who i am.

Mumford and I
Photo Credit: My friend Emily
I was that horse crazy obsessed kid. My love for horses was something that many people though was just a phase when really it is my passion, my life, my everything. Some people say that there is one horse that changes you and that was my first horse, Mumford. I got Mumford when I was ten as a Christmas present. He quickly went from being just a horse to my best friend, who taught me more than just how to ride but how to love, how to trust and how to see the good in the bad. Mumford was not an easy horse to get along with, as he was stubborn much like myself. He had multiple owners before I got him, people ditched him, and said he was garbage. I saw him as more though, I saw his potential, and I didn't see him as garbage, because to me he was everything. It was one day at the barn that the song 500 Miles by The Proclaimers came on, and instantly it became "Mumford's song." A few years ago we had to put him down after he broke his leg which was devastating to me as I lost my best friend that day, but whenever  I hear "500 miles" I think of him. While most people said he was nothing more than garbage, I loved him unconditionally, to me he was my best friend, the best teacher, and I would walk 500 miles just to see him again.




Broken-Lifehouse
Cinderella-Curtis Chapman
Strong Enough-Mathew West
Who am I-Jessica Andrews
500 Miles (I'm Gonna Be)-The Proclaimers






No comments:

Post a Comment