Friday, March 31, 2017

A Dolls House

Picture From Google Images

Reading and watching A Doll's House  gave me two vastly different reactions and emotions towards the characters. In the book I felt as though Nora was portrayed more as a doll, being controlled by society along with her husband. Throughout the play Nora comes to realize her role, and that she was being manipulated and played with by those around her. As a result of this she never found who she was, instead her interests were the mirror image of the person playing with her. As a character she really grows during the play, from once a ditsy woman to a woman who realizes that she is not happy in her marriage. In the reading I felt bad for Nora and that she had to live like a puppet for most of her life, and that her decision to leave Torvald was for the better. However in the film, i felt bad for Torvald, it was like he never really understood what was happening. This was partially due to him being highly intoxicated, but also that there was very little or no warning from Nora that she was going to leave him. I almost felt like Nora just decided she wanted to leave him and there was no going back.
For the most part I thought both the play and the film were similar to one another, with minor differences. While reading the play I had a hard time picturing everything that was going on, especially Nora and Torvalds house. The way I pictured their house, was that it was a modern home for their time, whereas in the movie it seemed modern but very grim and dark. I did not get that impression from reading the play.
I enjoyed watching the play more than reading it, because I was able to better understand what was happening from watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment